Sunday, January 14, 2007

Day one: Sleepy goodbyes and a birthday party

I woke up yesterday morning before 6 am to a firm shake: The Husband was waking me up to say goodbye. He looked shaved and combed and pressed beyond all recognition. The expression on his face was complex, a mixture of a kid on Christmas morning and a man about to leave his family for a long and difficult journey.

I helped him find some last minute things, touching him every chance I got.

We went into the boys' room so he could say goodbye. He woke them in turn, and they pressed their sleepy, pajama-clad little bodies to him. "Good-bye, Daddy. I love you, Daddy. Can I go back to sleep?" No tears, thank goodness, just tired little men who wanted to say good-bye, but also wanted to revisit Dreamland.

Hubby called the cab. Cab came. We hugged and kissed and all the usual stuff you do when trying not to say, "Please, please don't leave me." Then he was gone.

We had a lot to do yesterday, so that kept me busy and kept the tears away. The boys had a birthday party to attend. That took care of the afternoon. Afterwards, I. and Baby N. fell asleep in the minivan. A. and I went through the McD's drive-thru, came home, hauled the sleeping kiddos into the house and ate.

The kitchen needed cleaning, living room needed straightening up. Then it was bathtime (boys in tub, baby in sink), and pjs, snack and bed. The routine helped.

A. fell asleep last night clutching The Hubby's old watch. I. needed an extra snack and some cuddles. He didn't fall asleep until around 11, poor guffer.

The Hubby called before bedtime to check in: a rare luxury, because once training commences tonight he won't be able to call much at all. He spoke to both boys. He says the training facility is enormous and a little strange. He's already learning how to march and has been issued his gun clips.

So we've survived day one. Thanks to everyone who called to see how we're doing. Haven't cried yet, although that's only a matter of time.

Today is church and grocery shopping and vacuuming. What an exciting life I lead, I know. But small daily goals help keep me focussed.

No comments: