Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Day five: I love good friends, my CrockPot and the MFRC

I took the boys to the casual child care at the MFRC this morning. I dropped them off to a playroom full of wonderful toys and a smiling, trained professional child care worker. I couldn't get out the door fast enough.

Baby N. and I hit my favourite coffee shop, then ran some errands. I bought a CrockPot, with which I cooked this evening's dinner (delicious!). I bought flashlights (see post below) and a crank-charge lantern that has a port for plugging in my cell phone in case of a long power outage.

In the afternoon, my friend A.L. dropped by to help with chores, just as she said she would (see Day Two). We folded laundry together and sorted them into each family member's laundry basket. A.L. is an engineer with three kids of her own -- she folded my socks in between office work and visiting a construction site!

As I was driving the Bratmobile over to playschool to pick up my son A., I was thinking about why A.L. did this for me. First off, because she is a kind and generous person. But second, because she is a Catholic Christian who lives her faith. Jesus teaches us that "whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me." The Church also teaches that we are Christ for others when we help them. I believe these things to be true; I'm flattered anyone would help me to help Christ, and I can easily see the hands of Christ in the hands of the woman who folded my clothes today. Seeing His hands in my life gave me some extra strength today.

"I can do anything in Christ who strengthens me, Christ who delivers me. And in my hour of need, it's Christ who strengthens me, Christ who delivers me, Christ who heals me." -- "Gethsemane," by the band Communion (but first a paraphrase of the words of St. Paul)

1 comment:

Megan said...

I have a couple of super-duper-awesome cookbooks for crock-pot users. Remind me to bring one over. They are fabulous for lazy cooks like me.