Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Day four: Truly on my own

Today was the day when I well and truly realized I am now on my own.

When I woke up this morning, our front door was snowed in, and our driveway was covered. I didn't think much about it. Instead, I fed, washed and dressed three kids, got myself presentable, made some phone calls, paid some bills online, etc.

It wasn't until 11 that I realized three things: 1) Baby N. had a doctor's appointment at 1:45; 2) I needed to get out my front door; and 3) the snow wasn't going to magically shovel itself.

So I dressed all three kids in snowsuits and went outside with them to shovel. Huh.

I put Baby N. in the giant, 2-seater enclosed Chariot stroller in a snowsuit and a giant duffel bunting bag, warm and snug. She proceeded to scream her head off unless the stroller was moving. I spent more time rolling the stroller back and forth than I did shovelling.

After 15 minutes, the boys started complaining of the cold and demanding to go inside. Baby was screaming louder than ever because Isaac had crawled into the Chariot with her. I started begging her to be quiet.

Then it dawned on me: if I take a short walk, she might fall asleep.

We walked to the mailbox. By the time we returned, baby was snoring peacefully, and the boys were ready to go in.

The driveway and step were still covered in snow. I took a big breath and sent them inside with instructions to help each other out of their boots and to raid the melba toast in the cupboard.

Half an hour later, I had shovelled us out and carried a still-sleeping baby into the house. The boys had hung their coats and put away their things. They were happily playing in their room, melba crumbs everywhere.

I have never been so proud of my little men.

Then, at bedtime, the power went out. It was that moment I realized the Hubby had "put away" (read "hidden") his Maglight, the BBQ lighter, and all the matches in the house. I couldn't find any of them.

A. led us around the house with the Indiglo face of his watch until I finally found the flashlights my mother had sent the boys for Hallowe'en. There's still no sign of the emergency equipment; I've been searching for hours. There isn't even a flashlight in the minivan.

I was seriously ticked at Hubby, let me tell you. What, did he think I wouldn't need a flashlight while he was gone?

The boys have placed their flashlights next to their beds, just in case. I'm going to Canadian Tire tomorrow and using our CT money stash for flashlights, matches and an emergency kit. That CT money was supposed to buy Baby N. a new car seat next month.

Tomorrow the boys go to casual child care at the military family resource centre. It will be the first time I've been "alone" since Saturday. I'll still have the baby with me, but that's a cinch.

The Hubby called tonight before the lights-out fiasco. He passed the last fitness test and will receive his uniform tomorrow morning. Hoo-ya!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GFTOS, Garth ;-)

I am so proud of the boys, for all they've done this early on. And my girl, sitting up all on her own.

But, boy, do I wish I could babysit for you from all the way down south.

We're sending love and prayers. And reading faithfully.

Love,
You-know-who