Saturday, January 20, 2007

Day Eight: Ladies' night out

I hired a teenage babysitter tonight (a hot commodity in Yellowknife, let me tell you), packed up Baby N. and went to supper with a bunch of ladies from the MFRC.

The MFRC organizes this once a month, always at a different restaurant. It was a blast. Someone else eagerly held my baby as I cut my meat and ate my dinner!

The women I met were all so friendly and welcoming. And they blew apart the old army wife stereotype. These were ladies with interests and careers of their own. I met a teacher, an office professional, an at-home mom expecting her second child, a military member and the woman who runs the MFRC.

I stayed out till 9:30 (pure bliss) and came home to a sleeping I. and a very tired A., who was eating a second bedtime snack. He said he couldn't sleep because he was worried about me -- guess that would happen if your Dad was gone and your mom headed out for a few hours. He fell asleep ten minutes after the sitter left.

G. was a fabulous sitter, even though she is just 12. I will definitely have her back if she is willing. The boys had a great time, and she got them to bed on time. I'm impressed.

No comments: