Thursday, February 08, 2007

Week four, day five: Mr. Big Stuff

My oldest child put his foot on the path to school today. He had his kindergarten-readiness screening.

Getting to the screening was a bit of a challenge: my minivan froze up last night and wouldn't start this morning. I had plugged it in, but one of the children mistakenly pulled the plug out of the socket. Add that to the -38C weather and the Bratmobile wasn't going anywhere.

So I called my friend D.'s husband J.. D. is out of town and J. is alone with their oldest son. He dropped A., Baby N. and I off at the public health unit, then took Little I. and his own son for Timbits. Thanks J., you saved my neck!

The nurse weighed and measured A. She checked his sight, hearing, speech and comprehension. He passed it all with flying colours.

Then she gave him his booster shot (diphtheria, tetanus, polio and pertussis -- it's called the quadracel vaccine.) A. was NOT happy about that, and almost refused a sticker. He changed his mind once he saw the one with the big truck on it.

Funny, even though he had a needle, A. seemed very happy about the visit. He was well-behaved the rest of the day. He was cheerful and helpful. He is happily snoozing right now. I only just figured out why: for 45 minutes I paid almost exclusive attention to him. Baby N. was there but she just sat in her seat like a puddin'.

He got to be the centre of attention. He was praised for his efforts in a concentrated way. And he was comforted and fussed over after the shot.

This clinches it. Next Wednesday I am dropping I. and Baby N. off at childcare and taking A. out to do something for an hour. I bought a trainer cup for N. today -- I'm hoping I can teach her to drink breast milk out of it before then.

The Hubby called today, sounding exhausted. He said today was the very worst day he's had. He didn't want to get into it, just wanted to talk to the children and to hear some light and funny things. He said it made him feel a bit better.

He says he is NOT considering quitting in the least, but he feels one of his superiors may have taken a personal dislike to him. I just wish I could hug him tight.

No comments: