Tuesday, February 27, 2007

M2 W3 D4: Antibiotic Carousel

My kidney infection is getting better. There's only one problem: I keep reacting to every antibiotic the doctors put me on.

The first doctor put me on Suprax on Thursday. By Saturday I was so dizzy and nauseous I threw up. Off to the ER I went, my friend M. driving my Bratmobile and her husband S. watching my kids.

The doctor there changed my meds. He put me on Sulfatrim. I immediately improved, and was able to go to Mass on Sunday, and have a normal Monday.

But last night, I developed a cough and a rash -- two serious side effects to the new drug, according to the insert that came with it. Plus, you need to drink a lot of water while on sulfa drugs. I thought I was over my water aversion from HG. Guess not. Drinking a whole glass in a few minutes set me off again -- more puking. I can't even look at water today.

So I called the clinic, but the only appointment they had was 11 o'clock. I'm not dressed yet; the baby howled all morning. There was no way I would get there on time with all three kids. So I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow, during MFRC child care.

I wanted to talk to a doctor today. Should I stop the drugs? What do we try next? What would be better for breastfeeding? Much of the liquid I drink goes to my breasts; I can't deal with something dehydrating like the sulfa.

My own doc isn't in the clinic today. I just wish I could talk to her.

So I'm not taking the sulfa today. Watch, the infection will come right back. Sigh.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Sulfa? They've put you on sulfa drugs? That seems SO primitive.

You'd think there's another out there, that's safe for both you and Baby N., with less nasty side effects.

Let me know how the next doctor's visit goes.

Love,
E.