Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Starting out as a military family

Today was my first day in military family basic training. I brought the kids to the military family resource centre.

MFRCs exist to help military families -- whether they're coming to new communities, or the military member is on training away from home, or on deployments. They offer all sorts of services, depending on the place: day cares, pre-schools, casual child care, a list of local babysitting teens, job placement services for spouses, on and on.

So I hauled my small brood to the one in Yellowknife for their first outing as Navy brats. While the boys decimated the play room, and Baby N. chewed on the Exersaucer toys, I overwhelmed the poor program co-ordinator with questions (thanks, Bev!)

I'm feeling a little better about the long time this winter while Hubby is away; I can't wait to take advantage of the casual child care to get a hair cut or run errands.

When I got home, I promptly called the 1-800 number for the MFRC in Esquimalt, B.C. (directly adjacent to the city of Victoria). Esquimalt is the first base we will be posted to after Hubby's basic. He'll be in school there for a few years.

While the woman on the phone did try to convince me to live in the married quarters out in the suburbs rather than the one closer to town (no thanks, I think, not my thing), she had tons of helpful information about when we can apply for married quarters (ie. a military-owned house to rent), how the waiting list for MQs works, and what we'll need once we get one (MQ's do NOT come with appliances, such as fridges and stoves. You have to supply your own.)

She also took my address and is sending me a package of info in the mail -- more stuff to study and devour about this new life we're beginning.

No comments: