Sunday, December 31, 2006

Lame, lame, lame

Only in Yellowknife would less than 2 minutes of fireworks be talked up as a big New Year's treat.

The city officials were on the radio talking about the spectacular fireworks display they had planned, computer-programmed, yada yada yada.

It was less than 2 minutes, people. Even my-two-year-old knew it was lame. He was like, "Where did the fi-ya-wooks go, Daddy?"

I remember my first fireworks display here. It was actually good -- 15 minutes long, for the big millenium celebrations. And it was cold that night -- about -40C. I was working that night for the newspaper, and my finger froze on the shutter button.

The rest of tonight was a lot more fun than the lame-o fireworks. Alex went horseback riding for the first time, and has proclaimed he is now a cowboy. Isaac rode the rockiong horse in the house while eating as much pizza as he could shove in his rosebud mouth. And I got to hold a two-week old baby that was not mine.

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: