Saturday, December 23, 2006

A picture of us.... and a story about "sisters"


My friend Megan made this South Park-esque family portrait and put it on her very funny and insightful blog today. Get a load of the Hubby wearing camo and sporting a beer. It looks so much like the five of us it's a bit scary.
Megan and I have been friends for about 6 years. We both started at Big Crown Corp. on the same day -- March 20, 2000. We have a mutual friend named Stacey; I met Stacer in Saint John, NB a few months before we both came North.
Stacey and Megan and I have a strange relationship in some ways. The two of them are very much like blood sisters; read more about that over at Megan's blog. My friendship with them both is so intertwined that it's hard to separate how I feel for each. But never having had a sister, our relationship feels more like that than anything else.
In my family, I'm the baby. But with the girls, I'm the middle sister.
Megan is younger than Stacey and I, but she is the older sister. She was the first to marry and the first to become a mother. She worries and frets and (sometimes) gently admonishes us both.
I'm the oldest in age, but the middle sister, the translator. When Stace and Meg start to wrangle, I'm the one who hears both sides of the argument. I'm the one who often explains them to each other, even though they understand each other better than I ever will, since they've been together so long.
Stacey is the younger sister. She is busy forging her own path and living her own life. She is independent, but still needs our love sometimes. She loves us, but ignores our worrying and takes our advice with a pinch of salt. She loves to spoil our kids.
I can't imagine my life without these women, and I miss Stacey every day.
When I move to Victoria, I'll gain Stacey but lose Megan.
Megan, it's time to convince your hubby to move south.

1 comment:

Stacey and Trevor said...

Remeber what Charle Schulz said: Big sisters are the crab grass in the lawn of life.

And now here's what Toni Morrison said: A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double.