Monday, April 13, 2009

Adventures in kitchen paleontology 

Big I. is obsessed with dinosaurs. All small children seem to enjoy the ancient lizards, but Big I. is fixated. He now owns two separate encyclopedias on dinos. My four-year-old son can tell you about the different types of skulls each dino has, and why they have sails or plates or horns or massive claws. He can't spell my name, but he can read the names of such dinos as Baryonyx and Xenotarsosaurus.

Big I., you see, has decided he is a paleontologist.

So when the men were at Toys R Us today, and they saw a dinosaur excavation kit, all plans for baking Easter cookies were off. Big I. had bones to dig, and he needed an excavation team.

Chief paleontologist Big I. prepares for the dig.



The first strike of the excavation.




The excavation continues. Digging dinos is hard work.



Excavation team member Daddy chips in.


Chief paleontologist Big I. gives the team instructions and praise.


Putting the skeleton together.





It's a velociraptor! Well done, excavation team!

3 comments:

Megan said...

They are just SO CUTE.

Ni said...

I agree with Megan,just too cute.

Christine said...

That looks like a fun way to spend an afternoon!