Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Neither can live while the other survives, and one of us is about to leave for good..."


I waited in line with almost a thousand others last night to get my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows shortly after midnight. I finished it tonight at 10:30.

What an immensely satisfying ending to Harry's story. Rowling spared us nothing, and yet I finished the book smiling.

"All was well."

Thanks, Jo, from the bottom of this bookworm's heart.

What did the rest of you think? Megan?

4 comments:

yofed said...

NO spoilers? I alost feel cheated! :) I have to admit, I don't have my own copy yet, and I really hate to go shopping with two young ones just for a book (even if it's Harry Potter!)...

My man is sailing right now so I have little time for myself... so who knows when I'll be able to read it... is it really that good? I have just heard positive reviews yet...

Ellie said...

:-) Finished it at 2AM (having picked it up at noon at the uni. bookstore), and I agree with your (spoiler-free) review 100%.

I have a Canadian version showing up at my parent's place this week, but I couldn't wait until the end of August to get it (plus I get a huge discount at the bookstore b/c I'm considered faculty). I can't wait to compare the US version with the Canuck one.

Megan said...

NO SPOILERS HERE:

I got the is-Harry-a-Horcrux question dead wrong. I was so sure that I missed whatever clues were out there.

I felt a surge of pride when they described Ravenclaw's Horcrux: it had never been described before and until this book Harry wasn't even sure he was looking for something of hers. Something about that subtle reference in book six made me take notice, and I had a pretty good idea that it would be a Horcrux. I had no idea how they would destroy it, though.

Stacey and Trevor said...

I finished this weekend. The ending did not surprise me. But it was satisfying. I will miss the annual anticipation for a new book. Any recommendations for another series?