Thursday, December 13, 2007

Adventures in minimum wage

I've got applications into several good jobs in my field right now. I'm hoping for the best once Christmas is over, but I'm finally planning for the worst.

I started working at a jeans store in the mall last night.

The humiliation of all this has been hard to admit, because it shows how terribly prideful I am. The worst part was dropping off resumes last weekend. Walking throughout the mall, binder in hand and makeup on face, trying not to feel like a washed-up has-been.

My training shift was last night. The work is mentally easy. My co-workers are pleasant. The boss is nice, professional and efficient. I wear jeans all the time, so an employee discount sounds wonderful.

I feel like I should have been wearing a scarlet L, for "loser." Thirty years old, three children, a very succesful journalism career in the North.... selling jeans for minimum wage. Ugh.

I fought back tears the whole drive home after the shift. I thought about all the hours my mother worked in a mall so I wouldn't have to. The straight A's. The scholarship. The magna cum laude degree.

And then a little thought occurred to me, whispered by some good angel: "How much money did you make tonight?"

I did the math and subtracted the taxes. I made enough to buy one Christmas gift for one of the children. That was money we did not have before I went in to fold jeans and hang sweaters.

I earned one of my baby's Christmas gifts.

Suddenly, minimum wage doesn't seem so bad.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

I've been in those shoes. I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up as the PR director for the store or even the mall.

I echo Megan - Good for you. Both for getting out there and for seeing the upside.

Karan

Anonymous said...

Many times in the last 30 years you have me proud,this is definitely another one of those times.
Good for you,Cin.
Love you,Mom

Anonymous said...

oops...should read
you have made me proud.

Cin said...

Thanks, Mom. *sniff*

Anonymous said...

Cin, you bring tears to my eyes. You are quite a lady, much love
Aunt Tillie